Monday, August 11, 2014

Life in Italy vs. Life in the United States: Family

I selected family as my final topic of research because I realize the importance that it plays in everyday life. No matter where you live, or who you are, family has shaped you in one way or another. Family also means many different things in many different cultures. Although Italian families are not always the stereotyped "big Italian family," family is still a very important part of the Italian lifestyle. Families often live very close together, and like to spend time together. Families will go on outings together and spend time around the home. I feel so lucky to have been able to spend so much time with my extended home stay family, meeting cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents. Every member of the family had their quarrels, and got on each others nerves, but in the end they would always kiss each other goodbye. In this way they were very similar to Americans, and to global families in general. Although stereotypes usually say otherwise, the typical Italian family now is actually rather small: the average family only has one to two children. The average American family also has 2 kids, but only 25% of families have both parents. 55% of Italian households have at least one pet, whereas only 37% of American households also house furry friends.
One of the primary things that stuck with me throughout my three days with my home stay was the importance of family in Italy. My family in America is very close and look out for each other every day, but it surprises me how many families don't. My home stay family saw their extended family every day. We would stop by for snacks, or go shopping, or just sit around discussing our days. Regardless of the circumstance, the family stuck together and were always near each other. My family accepted me in as one of their own, including the grandmother telling me "you family now." It really lifted my spirits to see a family as close as mine in America, and was probably the biggest lesson I will carry forth from my stay with an amazing family.

My Beautiful Italian Family

No comments:

Post a Comment