Monday, August 11, 2014

Life in Italy vs. Life in the United States: Music

Music in Italy was hugely influenced by American music, even more so than I thought it would be. The first day I was with my home stay, as we were driving out to see some of the local sights, they turned on the radio to Michael Jackson's "Love Never Felt So Good." I started jumping up and down, saying "I know this, I know this! This is an American Song!" My home stay family told me that they listen to a lot of American music, mostly artists like Michael Jackson, Rihanna, and whatever was popular on the radio at the time. It made me think bout how our culture influenced Italian culture and music. Throughout my home stay I saw that my home stay family enjoyed many forms of American music, including rock and jazz. The first night of my home stay I was treated to a spot watching the Umbria Jazz Festival with my family. I heard very clear, American jazz at the festival, as well as certain styles that made me stop and listen, as I didn't recognize them. I found it interesting that a style of music that was founded in the United States had taken on such a big roll in a different culture, and to me it really highlighted a  way in which one culture can effect another. Through our music, a "universal language," so to speak, I think we can find different ways in which cultures can come together and unite.

A View of the Umbria Jazz Festival (Courtesy of Umbria Jazz)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment